Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Short story entry

A couple years ago, I entered a fiction contest for Seventeen magazine.  Now that I read them over and then read the winners stories, I realized more what they had been looking for and also vowed to myself to go deeper, less self explanitory.
This short story, however, was one of my favorites, because when I was writing it I could see the entire seen in my mind and putting it down in words actually became difficult.  Hopefully, with your own touch you will be able to enter into the story's world for a couple minutes and experience it for yourself.
I sat on the wooden stool, strumming pleasant chords on my guitar, as I sang.  I like to think of myself as the Taylor Swift in the making.  Even her fashion sense is an exact replicate of mine.  Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I come to this café in downtown Victoria.  It’s quite a neat place, very quaint, but “rocker” type at the same time.  It was in the basement of an old building, therefore windows were limited.  The only other light source was these long dangly lights that hung on the wall behind the bar.  Also, someone had managed to plant a few glow in the dark stars on the ceiling.  You might ask what an 18 year old girl is doing at a café on a Friday night.  In case you haven’t clued in, I’m different, unique.  I’m just myself, Noelle.  It was early evening, and I noticed that the blue sky had disappeared and black clouds had rolled into their place.  Nevertheless, I kept playing my guitar, and was about to launch into a new song, when I heard the cling-clang of the door opening, letting everyone know a new customer had arrived.  Out of habit, I looked up to see a tall, black haired guy come in.  He shook his head, as would do a wet dog, trying to dry himself off.  I’ll admit I was caught off guard, by his stunning appeal, but I quickly snapped out of it when someone sitting at a small round table shouted,“Are you ever going to let us in on the lyrics?” Embarrassed I finished the song then excused myself while the next performer took the stage.
Curiously, I searched around, and found the stranger sitting on a bar stool, deep in thought.  He didn’t notice me when I sat down beside him so I spoke,“I haven’t seen you around.  Where are you from?”He blinked, but then warmly smiled.“Montreal.  I’m supposed to be meeting someone, but I got lost and ducked into the first place I could to escape the rain.  Now I’m here.”
“Interesting, I’m Noelle.”  I stated, thrusting out my hand.  He shook it awkwardly.
“I’m Drew.  You know you…”  He was interrupted by his phone ringing to a playful tune.
He answered quickly, copied a couple notes down, and then turned to me.
“Sorry…Noelle…I have to go.  I got the right directions so…”  He trailed off.  I nodded disappointedly.  He grabbed his coat and headed out the door.  I followed him only until the awning, not daring to step out in the pouring rain.  He faced me, and put his hands on my shoulders.
“Will you be here Sunday night?”  He asked.
I nodded again.
“I’ll be looking for you.  Save me a song, okay?”
Those words made me smile, and then he took off into the hailing rain.  I kept watching, even as he became but a small, dark silhouette.  I didn’t want him to go, and for some reason, I couldn’t take my eyes off of him.
I actually ended up feeding off of this short story and made it into a novel that I completed!!  Yah!  It ended up being about a girl, Noelle, who didn't believe in love.  When she met Drew, however, he made it his mission to prove to her that love did exist.  I'm sure you can see where this is going!:) Anyways, someday it might just be on the bookstore shelf and you can read it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment