Monday, October 3, 2011

Where it all began

I remember when I was younger, I loved to be read to.  My favorite book was called Bony Legs and I could listen to it over and over and over again, laughing every time and doing the same actions as the witch "Bony Legs" would do.  It was also the first book I learned to read by myself, although I'm pretty sure it was all by memory!:)
As I got older, writing became a big part of my life and I remember sitting by the big bay window in our family room with the phone in one hand, my notebook in the other and reading my own stories to my best friend who in turn would read me hers.  Back then, grade three probably, my stories revolved around diva girls whose biggest problems were in finding the perfect outfit to wear.  Hopefully, after writing for a few more years, I have increased my content quality a little bit, but I still miss the imagination I had when I was younger.  I honestly think sometimes that the fact that I love writing fiction is one of the only things that has kept me from losing my imagination completely.
People often tell you to write about what you know, and I believe that but at the same time, sometimes its good to take risks.  With knowing about your subject, the emotional descriptions can go so in depth and it can often capture you and bring you back to a place or a person.  I write teen romance and honestly I have never been in love, so it traps me sometimes.  Recently, I have learned to develop the friendship side of relationships before jumping right into the romance and in doing so can create a more realistic story line and characters.  The good thing about fiction is no one is looking too closely for the facts and that gives a lot of liberties that I take and try to imagine how I would like things to go, taking into consideration real life problems and circumstances.  I am hoping that in the next few years as I continue to write, my knowledge on the subject will increase and I can put it all on the paper exactly the way I felt it.
If anyone is reading this and are writers as well, maybe my tips helped and feel free to give me tips as well.
<3Brianna
 

No comments:

Post a Comment